Thanks to Section 17 of the Children’s Act 1989 if your child is disabled or might be disabled he or she is legally entitled to an assessment of need

This might mean assessing for specialist services such as speech and language therapy, or equipment or respite care for parents or carers

Some Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) and authorities work well together and automatically offer you an assessment.

If they don’t you need to ask your social worker, for an assessment.

If you don’t have one contact your local authority’s disabled children team.

It is best to put your request in writing and keep a copy of your letter or email

If you are refused an assessment send your council a copy of this letter, drafted by solicitors, which can be found at the Every Disabled Child Matters website:

Once you have been assessed the local authority team working with you will come up with a ‘care plan’. It will explain what needs your disabled child has and what services can be provided to meet those needs.

If your home needs to be adapted to meet your child’s needs, you may be able to get a Disabled Facilities Grant to help with the costs.

Usually, an occupational therapist will talk to you to work out what adaptations would be best for your child.