If your child is eligible for the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance you could exchange all or part of their DLA to lease a car through Motability.

This is a national charity, set up on the initiative of the Government  to assist disabled people with their mobility.

There is a wide range of cars available, some of which can be wheelchair adapted.

Up to three people can be named drivers.

How it works:

  • You go to a motability-registered dealer (most of the major car companies are registered).
  • You choose a car.
  • You pay a non-returnable deposit for newer and more expensive models.
  • Part or all of your child’s DLA is used as the lease or payment for your vehicle.
  • If you choose the lease you will be able to pick a brand new car and replace it every three years.
  • The deal includes your insurance and insurance for another driver.
  • Full breakdown recovery is included.
  • If you need a car adapted, for example, for a wheelchair ramp, you can apply to Motability for a grant.

For more information on the Motability scheme visit